Connecting with Families and Employers
Introduction to Course
Welcome to our course on Connecting with Employers and Families. Employers and families are critical partners throughout the transition planning process. Students need support making connections with businesses and employers in their community. Their families bring a unique perspective on their student’s abilities, preferences, strengths, and challenges. Engaging families and employers in meaningful ways will improve the delivery of Pre-ETS.
- Recognize effective ways to communicate with families what pre-employment transition services (pre-ETS) are and how their transition-age student can benefit
- Develop an understanding of how to build positive relationships with families
- Identify best practices in recruiting and partnering with businesses on providing early work experiences for students with disabilities
- Learn which key partners can help you form relationships within the business community
- How am I currently engaging family members of students I’m working with?
- Do I have relationships within the business community? How can I reach out to members of the business community to develop early work experiences for my students?
- How do I work through challenges or barriers in collaborating with families and employers?